Saturday, October 22, 2011

From the archives: Adolf Loos

Learning to Dwell: Adolf Loos in the Czech Lands

One of the things I admire about my husband is his knack for packing. He can work a rubik's cube like no one I know. And he brings the same logic to organizing objects into confined spaces. Taking a squizz at Czech architect Adolf Loos's (1870-1933) now iconic Muller Villa, I thought Loos and Mr Zagala have something in common, something I would describe as a particular kind of spatial intelligence. It's interesting puzzling over Loos's approach to planning interior spaces. For an early modernist who embraced clean geometric lines, his interiors contain a surprising counter-movement. They are strangely complex, sort of like an Escher print, but more stripped back. And what about the luxe, surfaces and eclectic furniture? This photograph is of the children's room. Without squirts in it, Loos's room reminds me of a cross between a motel and a doll's house. And colourful though it may be, there is no denying its severity. With my own kids room looking like a fricken bomb site today I have to admit to a longing for the an epoch before China agreed to supply capitalism with piles of plastic crap, some of which has found its way to our place. I need a Loos-like solution for makin' it disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment