Thursday, March 31, 2011

Emile Zile


One of the advantages of being married to a curator is I don't have to buy the Art Almanac to know what's on around town. All kinds of fliers and catalogues end up on the dining table. They are a constant reminder of how big the art world is and just how many galleries and artists ply their trade out of the media spotlight. Usually they get relegated to the Collage Pile. But a catalogue for Emile Zile's upcoming exhibition at dianne tanzer piqued my interest. I'm not familiar with the artist though the name is very nice. I think it was the project description – Five Production Company Logos in 3D – made so little sense along side the image, a video still of a close up of hands. I'm not sure how to describe what they are doing outside of 'signing': a palm extended forward with the other hand curled above it. What is that? I wondered. Then I flipped it over and noticed a catalogue essay by Philip Brophy. An essay by Brophy is a seal of approval, like finding one of those cute crests 'By Appointment to the Queen', on certain packaged British foods. Brophy is not only one of the smartest and funniest writers on art, sound and film but a grade A intellectual. What would he have to say about film production logos? About Identity Design? As you would expect his essay is joyous, obscene and insightful.

I think Zile mimics and performs these film production company logos (United, MGM etc). What will that look like? No idea. But I can't wait to find out.

Emile Zile, dianne tanzer gallery + projects
Opening 2 April 3-5pm, until 23 April
108-110 Gertrude St, Fitzroy VIC 3065
+ 61 3 9416 3956

No comments:

Post a Comment