Monday, September 3, 2012

Dream Lucid

Contemporary_Women

I took myself off to Sydney over the weekend to see Sydney Dance Company's performance, Contemporary Women. I could just read and reread that sentence for pleasure. That's right, I burned some carbon miles in the name of leisure.

I was there specifically to see Stephanie Lake's contribution to the four part event, Dream Lucid but I was more than happy to sit through pieces devised by Emily Amisano, Larissa McGowan and Lisa Wilson. I love the way that dance has the ability to be engaging and undemanding at the same time. I'm pretty sure that's because it's the lack of talkie talkie. I don't know who did the costumes – someone tell me if you know – but they were amazing. Male dancers in shiny tights and baggy velour windcheaters. Female dancers in lace bodysuits and shiny tights. Some in red, others in navy, others still in a shade of pearl. This group came together and separated out into pairs, manipulating one another's bodies at a distance through simple but precise hand gestures to a pulsing soundtrack. I was reminded of 80s interpretive dance, hip hop, and Close Encounters. And it ended with a group hug. A group hug!

I admired those dancers. In this first week of spring I am a long way from toned. A really, really long way away from toned.

Contemporary Women
Sydney Dance Company
28 August – 1 September 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment