Sunday, April 8, 2012

Sweet Polka: Siri Hayes

All you knit is love Image
image: Siri Hayes

Last week it was Joan Miro, this week it is Siri Hayes. Spain is calling Hola! and I'm listening.

When Sweet Polka Siri Hayes announced a little over a year ago she was off to Barcelona on a Australia Council residency I was full of admiration for her get-go attitude. I think of travel with children a little little like drink driving. Risky, most likely to end in regret. But Siri and her husband approached it with lassez faire aplomb. I enjoyed her Facebook updates, from beguiling street scenes, to excursions to the countryside, and day-to-day family life in the studio apartment. I wondered at the time what kind of work would come from the experience. Would her photographs continue to explore figures in landscape or move towards portraits? I'm about to find out. When it comes down to it, some people can move mountains.


The fruits of Siri's labours will be on display at the Centre for Contemporary Photography next week.

Siri Hayes
All You Knit Is Love
13 April – 27 May 2012

CCP
404 George Street
Fitzroy



No comments:

Post a Comment