Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The holiday portrait


Ok. I'll just say it outright. Posting this was not my idea. Actually neither was posing for the portrait. But with decor like this (creme carpet, beige curtains, hanging light fixture and the 70s armchair) how could we not give it a shot? Taking it ourselves with the timer was like a family project. The blinking light, striking a pose, waiting for the machine to do its job, SNAP, reviewing the photos together. Taking these reminded me how much I love the genre of the family portrait. Is it because they throw up so many questions? Is it curiosity about physical likeness? Their inherent formality? I like them for all of these reasons and because just beyond that curtain is the sea and one of the most beautiful coastlines in the world. You can't see it but I think that it's in there. I mean what are they all doing barefoot? They are at the beach.

4 comments:

  1. I am loving this... Don't know what I love more, the carpet, the curtains or your cheeky smiles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the lights totally balance the rather lovely formal composition. Quite love the coily crossed feet too, Anna! was this done on self-timer? I don't believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear- I think the word I was actually wanting to use there was 'coyly' not 'coily'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Siri. You can thank Stephen for the composition. He set it up.
    I've never thought of myself as coy but I like it.

    ReplyDelete